Obtaining IP Address Error in Android While Connecting to WiFi [Fixed]
There has been a while when one of my friend complained about this Obtaining IP Address Error in Android While Connecting to WiFi. Fortunately, the problem was easily solved at that time. But I have found a lot of people struggling to fix this error. Therefore, I am here with an article to Fix Obtaining IP Address Error in Android While Connecting to WiFi.
What is Obtaining IP Address Error?
Whenever you switch ON your WiFi option, your android device searches for the nearest connection. After then, it scans for the IP Address. If the WiFi router is not able to assign the appropriate IP address, it would disconnect and scan for the IP address again. It goes on for an infinite loop showing “Obtaining IP Address…” message. This is known as Obtaining IP Address Error. It usually appears in android smartphones.
If you are wondering why does it happen, then here are some of the causes of Obtaining IP Address Error.
Causes of Obtaining IP Address Error while connecting to WiFi:
Some of the most probable causes of Obtaining IP Address are as follows:
- It can most probably arise due to IP address conflict with other devices connected to the same network.
- It can also arise due to encrypted security in the network.
- It can also arise if the internet connection of the network is not in sharing mode.
- It can also arise due to cache problem in your android phone.
If you are facing Obtaining IP Address Error in your android phone while connecting to WiFi, then follow below solutions to fix it.
Also Read: 8 Ball Pool APK For Android [Latest] – Download.
How To Fix Obtaining IP Address Error in Android While Connecting to WiFi:
There are three solutions to Fix Obtaining IP Address Error in Android phone. They are as listed below.
Solution 1 – Restart your Android Phone:
If you are seeing Obtaining IP Address error due to cache problem in your android phone, then a simple restart would solve your problem. If you are still facing this error, then follow the below solution.
Solution 2 – Make Sure Sharing is Enabled in Network Settings:
Make sure that internet sharing is ON in your WiFi router settings or WiFi Hotspot settings. Also, check for the encrypted security. If everything seems fine, then connect to the WiFi connection. If you are still facing Obtaining IP Address Error in your android phone, then follow the below solution.
Solution 3 – Use Static IP address:
Most of the time, this solution will fix your problem. Follow below steps to know How to use Static IP Address.
For Android Version 2.x to 4.0:
- Go to Settings and select Wireless and Networks option.
- Here, turn ON WiFi, press Menu button and select Advance option.
- Now, select Static IP and enter the below values.
- IP Address: 192.168.1.107 (You can put any value from 0 to 255 instead of 107. But just make sure there is no other device connected to the same network with same IP address).
- Gateway: 192.168.1.1
- Netmask: 255.255.255.0
- DNS 1: 184.108.40.206
- DNS 2: 220.127.116.11
- Save it.
Now, check if you are able to connect to WiFi network. I hope it would surely solve your problem.
For Android Version 4.1 and above:
- Go to Settings and click on WiFi option.
- Turn on WiFi and connect to the desired network.
- Long press on the connected network and click on Modify Network.
- Now, mark a tick on Show Advanced Options.
- Click on the drop down menu of IP Settings and select Static option.
- Assign your IP address and leave all other options as it is.
- Save it.
Now, check if you are able to connect to WiFi network.
NOTE: Many users have complained that they are able to connect with the WiFi network after following solution 3 but cannot use internet. So, follow the below extra steps if you facing this problem.
- After opting Static IP Address and following the above steps, wait till it gets connected.
- Then, go back to WiFi settings while it is connected and change it back to DHCP. Don’t worry, it would still remain connected and you will be able to use internet now.
I hope this article “Obtaining IP Address Error in Android While Connecting to WiFi [Fixed]” was helpful to you. If you are facing any further problem with Obtaining IP Address Error in your android phone, feel free to contact me by commenting below. Do not forget to share this tutorial blog on Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or any other social profiles. To get our latest posts via email, Subscribe to our Newsletter. Till then, Ciao!