How to Fix All files converted to .lnk files – Windows Error
The below guide explains you How to Fix All files converted to .lnk files in your Windows PC.
Rather than a virus attack, there is one more problem faced by windows users usually – “All files converted to .lnk files“. In this problem, when you try to start a program from a desktop shortcut icon, it gives you nil result or a dialogue box pops up that says “Open With”. Many users are seen hopping around Google, forum websites or tech blogs, finding answer of the following problems.
All files on my PC have converted to .lnk files.
File extension of all my files of Windows PC has changed to .lnk extension.
All files converted to .lnk files. What Do I do now?
How can I open .lnk attached programs in my computer?
What is .lnk files and how to fix this windows error?
How to Fix All files converted to .lnk files?
I have seen many people asking the above questions on forums. So, I thought to share the solution of this problem with you. Before I start elaborating about the solution, let me tell you about .lnk files first.
What is .lnk file?
In Windows operating system, .lnk file is used to point shortcuts with .exe files. It is used to launch programs and often referred as shortcut files. When you click on a .exe program, .lnk file maps it with the corresponding program and opens it.
Causes of .lnk file error:
.lnk file error arises due to .lnk association problem in your Windows PC which can be caused due to one of the following reasons:
- It is usually caused due to virus.
- It can also be caused due to corrupt registry of .lnk files.
- It may also arise due to incorrect or missing registry.
You can easily fix All files converted to .lnk files by following the below solutions.
Solutions to Fix All files converted to .lnk files:
There are three simple solutions to Fix All files converted to .lnk files. Follow them in the given order as different solution would work for different users.
Solution 1 – Restore .lnk default behavior:
- This problem can be solved by restoring .lnk default behavior. To do so, download the below registry fix depending on your Windows Version.
- After downloading the registry fix, run it and allow the prompt from the Registry Editor.
- Now, restart your system.
This solution should solve All files converted to .lnk files problem. If not, then follow Solution 2.
Solution 2 – Manually Fix the Registry:
- You can manually fix the registry. To do so, open RUN dialogue box by pressing Windows+R button.
- Now, type regedit here. It would open registry editor.
- Now, browse to the following registry branch:
- Now, click on the arrow to expand it and delete the sub-key named UserChoice.
- Now, close the registry editor and restart your system.
It would solve the .lnk file problem. If this also does not work, then try Solution 3.
Solution 3 – Use a third party tool to fix .lnk association:
You can use a third-party tool to fix .lnk file association, Download it from the below link and run it to fix .lnk file problem.
Solution 4 – Scan your system by a good antivirus:
If Solution 3 also does not work, then your system is brutally attacked by virus. So, get your system scanned by a good antivirus. This would solve your problem.
If I managed to help you Solve All files converted to .lnk files – Windows Error, then do share this article on Facebook, Twitter, Google Plus or any other Social Profiles. To receive more such useful articles, Subscribe to our newsletter. If you have any query regarding How to Fix All files converted to .lnk files, feel free to contact me by commenting below. I will try to get back to you as soon as possible.