How To Play YouTube App Videos in the Background on Android and iOS – 4 Tricks
How To Play YouTube App Videos in the Background on Android and iOS: No doubt, YouTube is the most popular video streaming app in the world, obviously sans China 😛 Billions of users worldwide use YouTube app to see trending and amazing video content on internet. However, there is one annoying feature of YouTube app which many of the users are not impressed of it. YouTube does not allow background playback. It means, if you move out of YouTube app to use any other app or lock your phone, YouTube video/audio automatically gets paused. A lot of users, including me, are not amused with this. What if you want to listen to music on the YouTube app while texting or doing something else? This made me do some research on it and guess what? I found 4 Tricks To Play YouTube App Videos in the Background on Android and iOS.
YouTube does not allow background playback – Reasons:
While in the process of my research, I came into few possible reasons for which YouTube does not allow background playback. The best suitable and valid reason which I found out are as follows:
- YouTube is meant for watching videos. So, it stops when you move out of YouTube app. However, this reason seems a bit absurd as with the time, people has started using YouTube to listen to Music. So, they can bring up an update for the same.
- The other reason which seems more valid is because YouTube makes money from the Video Ads. More the video is played more the money is made. And if they start supporting background playback, then the advertisers will be furious and there will be no ads revenue. This is also the same reason, it took them 8 years to add a simple loop feature in the desktop version.
However, there are some handy tricks which can help you to Play YouTube App Videos in Background on Android and iOS.
Also Read: 10 Advanced Tips and Tricks for VPN Users.
How To Play YouTube App Videos in the Background on Android and iOS:
There are 4 tricks/methods via which you can Play YouTube App Videos in the Background on Android and iOS. They are as listed below.
Trick 1 – YouTube Premium/YouTube Red Subscription:
The easiest way to Play YouTube App Videos in the Background on Android and iOS is by purchasing a YouTube Premium/YouTube Red Subscription. This subscription also comes with bonus features like the ability to download YouTube videos on smartphones, a subscription of Google Play Music and it’ll also get rid of YouTube ads.
YouTube doesn’t want you to play its videos in the background, but it reserves this feature for its paying subscribers which will eventually help them to get away from their advertisers. There are different plans of YouTube Red Subscription which you can choose from. However, this subscription is not available in all countries/region. Also, some of the users are not comfortable to pay just for watching videos. In that case, you can follow the below listed tricks.
Trick 2 – Picture-in-Picture Mode or Split-Screen Multitask Feature:
Some phones like Samsung’s Galaxy Note 8 or LG’s V30 offer split-screen multitasking that will let you have a YouTube window alongside some other activity. Also, if you are on Android 8.0 Oreo or above, you can use Picture-in-Picture Mode. It automatically pops up a miniature viewing window if you navigate away from YouTube. This window can be dragged anywhere on the screen, and tapped to enlarge, or to access playback controls while you can use any other app.
However, this method would not work with content classified as music, so it still can’t be an ideal solution. Also, people who do not own a smartphone featured with Picture-in-Picture Mode or Split-Screen Multitask (especially iPhone 😛 ) cannot use this method. In that case, follow the below Methods To Play YouTube App Videos in the Background on Android and iOS.
Trick 3 – Play YouTube videos in Browser:
This is the best Method To Play YouTube App Videos in the Background on Android and iOS. I use this trick too. You just have to open YouTube in a Browser like Chrome, Firefox, or Safari and enable the Desktop site option. Follow the below steps to know how to do it.
- At first, download or install a browser like Chrome or Firefox in your smartphone.
- Then, open the browser and open YouTube. This will open mobile version of YouTube. If you try to watch a video and come out of the browser, you will face the same problem.
- So, the main step – Click on the three-dot icon placed at the top-right corner or go to Settings of your browser. Here, you will see an option Request Desktop Site. Enable it.
- Now, you will be redirected to the desktop version of YouTube where you can Play YouTube App Videos in the the Background.
- Open safari and launch YouTube.
- Play a video or music you want wait till the video plays in full screen.
- Then, press the home button. It will bring you to the home screen and eventually stop the audio.
- Don’t worry! just swipe and bring up the control center and tap the play button.
- Ta-da! You will see you can now Play YouTube App Videos in the Background.
Not comfortable with playing YouTube videos on browser? Follow the below Method to Play YouTube App Videos in the the Background on Android and iOS.
Trick 4 – Use other app alternative to YouTube:
This is the last trick (as per my knowledge) to Play YouTube App Videos in the Background on Android and iOS. You can use any other app which have huge collection of videos and audios. These apps provides the feature to Play Videos in the the Background. One such amazing app is Awesome Pop-up Video. It will play your chosen video in a pop-up window allowing you to use any other app while the video is playing in the the background. Just open the app, and use the search function to find your chosen video. Tap it and it will open in a separate window that can be dragged around the screen. Some other alternatives of YouTube app to listen music are iYTBP, Torch Music, NewPipe, and Floating Tube.
That’s it for now, friends! It’s time to say Goodbye. I hope this tutorial “How To Play YouTube App Videos in the Background on Android and iOS – 4 Tricks” was helpful to you. If you have any query related to How To Play YouTube App Videos in the Background on Android and iOS, feel free to ask me by commenting below. I will try to get back to you as soon as possible. Until the, you can use the 3rd Trick to play YouTube videos in the background as it is the most popular and best way to do so. To get latest updates from TechBae, Subscribe us. Also, do not forget to share this tutorial on Facebook, Twitter or Google Plus. Thanks!